Do you ever get sudden cravings for sweet things? Usually for me it’s savoury over sweet but the weekend just been I had a mad craving for donuts. So much so that I contemplated driving for twenty minutes to get some. 😅
I was curious to find out how hard donuts would be to make myself so literally googled “donuts at home easy”
It’s really easy. Guys. REALLY EASY. 🍩
This recipe is the one I followed for the first batch I made (yes I made two batches in one day, please don’t judge me until you try them). In my second batch I altered the recipe slightly (see below).
I am so impressed with how they turned out! Crunchy on the outside and fluffy and tasty on the inside.
Super easy donut recipe
Cooking: Roughly 20-30min in batches.
Makes: 20-30 drop donuts.
- 2 C and 2 TBSP of plain flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 C and 1 t of white sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1⁄4 C vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 C milk
- 1 egg
- Mix with a wooden spoon or blunt knife flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg until thoroughly mixed.
- Add oil, milk, and egg and mix well.
- Heat oil until hot, test but adding a drop of water, if it bubbles its hot enough.
- Using teaspoons grab a small amount of the mixture and try to round on the spoons. *
- Fry until light brown on both sides turning as needed. Remove when whole donut is light brown.
- Drain well on paper towels or brown paper bag.
- Turn in or sprinkle with plain, powdered or cinnamon sugar while hot. (Sugar sticks when rolled and still a little wet from the oil)
This recipe took me no time at all and can easily make 20-30 donuts depending on the size you want them.
* I found that using two teaspoons and moving the mixture with the spoons into circle shapes was easiest as the recipe is a bit sticky to mould with your hands.